Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

View Single Post
post #107 of (permalink) Old 2nd May 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to SamWoerth
Re: Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

LM - Two essential procedures on these shockers.
1. You must replace the pair.
2. You need to reset the shockers BEFORE tightening up
to the prescribed torque.

Best method is to just hand tighten up the bolts top & bottom bounce the rear of the car up & down say five times. I did mine when the pair of shoickers were in place. Then & only tighten up to the book torque values.

Numerous reports of shockers breaking at the weld at the top of the shaft, may be down to manufacturing at the car assembly plant. Since it does not seem practical for this resetting operation to be done on the production line.

When this writer's Megane suffering the top shaft fracture, my Renault shocker had a bell design -this prevented the shaft moving away from the location (that happens with a standard design) - However looking at the Renault design
it must be extremely difficult to ensure a top quality weld inside this bell housing. One suspects Renault had fractures, so modified the design to add a safety feature.

Setting the shockers to the procedure in Haynes, makes sense, since the bushes are located in an minium stressed

If you've just put the shockers on and tightened them up -as is 'normal' with most cars in my experience -THEN I suggest you reset your shockers. Lossen them up & bounce the vehicle, THEN apply the torque.

As for rocking side by side this can help though this must be done with loose bolts - Not tight ones - then apply the spanners to the correct torque.
Currently in SamWoerth's garage:
1.6 Megane Saloon MkII 04 - previous MkI - wrote off- back ended
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome