Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Increase Power

Thread: Increase Power
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 13th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by SportTourer
For towing maybe. But for normal driving I disagree, or do you mean 3000-3500 rpm? 4500 rpm is the equivalent of "screaming the t1t$ off a petrol engine " for a modern turbo diesel engine for driving without towing. You only need to get the revs up to about 3000 ish to get quick progress.
The dCi 130 is tuned slightly differently to the 120, and I believe a lot of the extra oomph is further up the scale. Yes, you can make decent progress without going over 3000, but there's definitely extra torque at the wheels to be gained from holding on past 4K before changing up. Towing a ton of caravan up a steep hill just proves the point - the extra torque will still be there without the weight on the back. My car won't hold 60 up Rhuallt hill in 4th with the caravan on the back, but it'll happily do it in 3rd without even flooring the pedal. That's not a trivial difference in my book.

Not that I drive it like that all the time, but it's handy for things like single-carriageway overtaking, where you want to spend the absolute minimum amount of time on the wrong side of the white lines.

I suppose I'm still a petrolhead at heart. I have no objection to taking a well maintained engine up to the limiter. Maybe I'm not ready for my diesel driver's pipe and slippers just yet.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome