Independent Renault Forums banner

Megane II rear bumper trim removal

22K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  VelSatisfied 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how the grey coloured bumper trims on the Megane IIs are held in place, managed to get a finger or two under one side but it seems tight now, don't really want to pull like a lunatic incase I bust em!
Are they just plastic cliped into place or are they screwed somewhere.
I want to fit parking sensors to my CC, the fitting guide tells me they can be fitted with out removing the bumper, guide says once pilot hole has been drilled remove bumper trim and use the "bit" to drill the fitting hole, it also waffles on about I will be able to see the gromet to feed the sensor cables into the boot through the holes where the bumper trims where!
All Fine and well, simple, No problem, apart from HOW DO YOU GET THE FLIPPIN TRIM OFF, this small section of information has not been included.....brute force and ignorance usually does the trick but I generally find after taking this route nothing fits properly after in fact has a tendacy to fall off on a regular basis.
So just thought I would ask, see if anyone can point me down the correct route.

#2 ·
Hi there.

I regularly have to remove sections of trim on bumpers to perform repairs/repaint damage.

It should simply be held on by plastic lugs on the rear of the trim itself. Close analysis will show whether the centre section needs removal (I think its a 3-piece trim) before removing the side pieces.

A tip for you - use a large, flat-headed screwdriver to prise the trim away , from beneath, that way, any damage which may occur to the painted surface, will not be visible once the trim is reinstated.

Start at one end, and it should all be removed without too much effort.

Best of luck with the sensors.

Paul

#3 ·
Superb, thanks for that bit of info, I wasn't sure about the lugs, I thought they might be, as the passenger side bottom had poped out when I bought the car, and a good clout heard it pop into place but did not want to start forcing things off till I find out for sure, I might actually paint them whilst they are off, they are quite marked around the corners, the lady I bought it off was a small woman, I find it quite hard to reverse park this CC as rear vision is terible worse than the wifes coupe and I stand at 6' 1", so I think she must have had real problems with this car, both rear corners of the bumper have scuffs.
I keep hitting the wheelie bin myself, because of the way my drive is the bin disapears from site below the bootlid, but there is still another 6 foot or so to go.
www.parking-sensor.co.uk, £59.99 for a 2 sensor set, very good sets as well, used them a few times.
Worst set, was a foil strip, which fixed behind the bumper cover, sold on the fact you don't drill anything, they are invisable, a word that rymes with wrap springs to mind they either went off constantly in reverse or not at all, waste of money, so bought the wife another set the same as my Fiat set from above website ( My fiat Had them on 5 years, 88 thousand mls, expressway driving (salty in winter) yet they worked precisely every time), no problem since, so I can recomend thier product, and if you consider the price a manufacture will charge you, I think Renualt is around £245 fitted mine where £59.99 for two or £79.99 for 4 sensors, the wiring is simple.
As I said; save you a fortune and good kit as well.:d

#4 ·
Painting shouldn't be a problem - will you be going for the same colour as before, or are you looking to change it?

If you need any advice regarding painting techniques, please feel free to ask.

Paul

#5 ·
Same colour as the car I think, I have seen a few knocking around now with this done and they look good.
I would like to smooth out the surface so I get a nice smooth finish, so was thinking about:
flatting off the trims with an air sander to take them down a bit, then priming with a plastic prima then prima filler to fill in all the low points and keep flatting and priming till I have a good smooth surface, then on with the paint, not sure what prima colour to finish with yet, need to do some homework the car is the pearlesant silver (632 I think) I reckon it will be a light colour possibly white.
Never applied pearlesent paint before so it will be an interesting project, especially as I think the paint will be water based, again a newie for me, will I be able to use an acrylic lacqure over this paint when it is dry, or will I need a water based lacqure? :confused:
Bet you are sorry you asked now? :d

what I would love to do to it, is 1st buy a set of renault sport front and rear bumpers I have seen a couple of them for sale on the web, made for the CC around £436 for both plus the twin exhuast pipes web site is http://www.tuningshop.co.uk/acatalog/Renault_Megane_CC_Coupe_Cabriolet__RS_Replica__Kit.html
check it out, they make the CC look wicked, would also like to change its colour not sure yet to what possibly clio metallic yellow or even the VW metallic green they are putting on the Sciroccos now would have to be careful due to colour of leather, but as always it comes down cold hard cash, or lack of it so it is just paint bumper caps for now and keep dreaming!
Reality is so harsh! :(
6 little numbers is all it takes!

#6 ·
Hi there.

Sounds like you have definitely thought the prep work through.

Regarding solvent/water-base, it really depends on how you plan on painting the surface - rattle cans are still solvent-based (and can give a pretty good result, if you have the correct conditions), that way, a standard solvent-based lacquer can be used to good effect. I'm presuming you would be removing the trims and painting indoors?

However, if you use water-based paint, then the drying process is much more intensive (its centered upon lots of air volume passing over the surface, rather than heat to dry the paint), and you would need a compatible lacquer.

Couple that with having to clean spray guns, I'd be inclined to go with the aerosols....

Paul

#7 ·
(its centered upon lots of air volume passing over the surface, rather than heat to dry the paint),
No worries - will just waft the trim under the wifes chin and tell her I forgot to wash the pots, should be pleanty of air volume there!!!!
No seriously! thanks for that, I only asumed it would be water based, as the chap that was/is going to mix it for me said on renault they are waterbased on 04 as a passing comment, I think it may be a freebe so I will wait and see what comes my way but he also mutterd about a can, so I will have to wait and see, don't want to hassel him.
So basically if it is water based colour I will need a waterbased lacqure, I did ask that question and he said Naaa once it is dry - FULLY DRY you can squirt any lacqure you want on it, I did wonder on that, not being a sprayer but have sprayed in my own unique way and found that not ALL paints are compatable at my own expense, so I do wonder some times what he is on about, he also told me any colour prima will do as long as it is light in colour, I know this is not always right as well again more expensive "why doesn't it match" experiances, do you know what colour I should put on for the colour base coat in prima vehicle is 632 Gris Boreal, Lechlar colour chart says 134E, oval plate says MV632.
Thanks again for your help.
Chris

#8 ·
Hi there Chris. The primer it recommends is Value Shade 4 = grey. There is a sliding scale of primers from 1 = white to 7 = matt black. For Gris Boreal, its bang in the middle.

I can understand about using a solvent lacquer, but it will take some time for the water-based paint to completely dry off before you can start lacquering (at least overnight), so there is no chance of a reaction.

What I would suggest is applying the lacquer in 3 coats; the first is more of a fine dusting (a bridging coat, if you like), then the second should be a normal coat, and the third should be as heavy as you dare (without getting a run).

Use a heatgun on the 3rd coat to 'lock-in' the gloss, otherwise the solvent will evaporate & water will be absorbed = dulled finish.

I've found cardboard boxes to be useful at holding pieces of trim in place, yet allowing access for painting over the entire surface.

Hope some of this is of help to you.

Paul

#9 ·
That brilliant info Paul, thanks, will get the paints together and go for it should be good fun, I really enjoy jobs like this, being an Network engineer is nowhere near as rewarding, sory for late reply, had to go and the Tri Anual Speed awareness course! well it is North Wales.:devil:

#10 ·
Not a worry mate, I'm having to use the library's computer just now, as I just changed ISP, but they forgot to send out a router & software...

Best of luck with it, just take your time and it'll be fine.

Paul

#12 ·
I haven't worked on one of those, but what you could do is reach up behind the bumper and feel for where the retaining lugs fit through the bumper itself.

This will aid in removing the pieces.

Paul

#13 ·
Yeh I had a look at that but I can only see the bottom lugs because the steel bumper blocks access to the top. I think I might have to remove the rear bumper. I bought the haynes manual for the car but it doesn't cover the CC only yhe hatch so it looks like its a case of guess work mixed with the instrutions of removing a hatch bumper.

Thanks for your reply

#14 ·
I recently changed the headlights on my Megane CC and put a spoiler on it. I managed to remove the front grey trims from the bumper and sanded them smooth. I used plastic bumper spray standard grey aerosol primer and megane black and clear coat aerosols from Halfords. I applied the heat with a heat gun when I applied my clearcoats. They worked perfectly for me. The bumper trims and the spoiler are a perfect match (Metalic black) I did a lot of prep though and used up to 2,500 grit papers. I hope this helps

Garry

#15 ·
Nice job - shows the rewards of good, solid prep work.

If you can feel the bottom lugs, I'd try to push one out (one on a corner), as this may allow access from the outside to open it up further. If you are reluctant to use a screwdriver, then anything plastic can be used to help you apply force from both sides.

Just be gentle and smooth with the force you apply, if more than one clip is broken, you'll need to bond it back into place.

Plastic clips are really fun - as you'll have no doubt gathered!

HTH

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.