Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

View Single Post
post #144 of (permalink) Old 14th May 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

Hi there,

after reading this thread I decided to clean my EGR as well

1.9DCI just over 80k miles here. Not that I got much hesitation or anything, besides I only bought it several weeks ago, but I wasn't too happy with the mpg number. I don't drive out of the town so the max I could got out of it was just under 40mpg, that is over 8 miles return trip without any traffic (just some occasional lights and roundabouts).

Several points I learned:

1. The plug is easy to remove (someone asked here), just use a clip on it.
2. In order to remove the EGR one would need a lot of WD40, I used half of the can.
3. It is better to start from the inlet (the large pipe just above the EGR ). Three 10mm bolts and it can be separated.
In my case the channel between the EGR itself and the inlet pipe was completely blocked! couldn't even put my finger in it, took me awful lot of time and carb cleaner to unblock it. Value tesco toothbrushes are good but they cannot get into the chanel thus it took a lot of time. In total used 4 brushes and two microfibre cloths for that.
4. Taking EGR out took a while. There's a metal crushable gasket, and a good point is to get a decent amount of freeplay and move that gasket left and right (by using long-nose pliers) whilst spraying generously with WD40. I bought a long robust flat screwdriver specifically for this job, and it was very handy. Even when I managed to get some opening I couldn't really pull the unit out, so I put the screwdriver thru the opening and used it as a lever, which worked out nicely. EGR itself was rather clean though.

Now from good to bad. I noticed someone already asked about this, but I didn't spot an answer. I could see quite a lot of oily substance inside the inlet pipe, as well as on the other side (i.e. de-facto a shut-off valve). Where is it coming from and how do I stop this??
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome