Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 02 Espace Mk III Rear Shocks & Spring Replacement With Pic's

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th May 2010 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
02 Espace Mk III Rear Shocks & Spring Replacement With Pic's

Hi All,

Well after replacing my rear shocks and springs on my Espace i thought i would do i guide to help other members,

First you will need to jack the car up and place it on axle stands to work in a safe environment,
You will see on the side of the sill at the back near the wheel arch there is an arrow,
Just behind the plastic sill you will see where the car would normally be jack up on the road side?this is the best place to use the axle stands as the axle needs to be free to drop later when replacing the springs,

Arrow On Sill

Axle Stand Location

Once you have this done its now time to remove the wheels,
Then its now time to place the jack under the axle in the centre point between each wheel and jack it up just until you see it lifting the axle and no more,

Once this is done its now time to loosen the bolts holding the rear shocks in place on either side up on the chassis leg,
You will need an 8mm Allen key socket and a 17mm closed ended spanner like this to remove the bolt and nut holding the shock in place,

Bolt Holding Top Of Shock In Place

Bolt Removed

8mm Allen Key/You Will Also Need A 17mm Closed Ended Spanner

Once this is done its now time to loosen the 13mm bottom bolt holding the shock in place to the axle itself using a 13mm socket or a 13mm closed ended spanner,

Once you have this done its now just a case of pushing the shock off in towards the centre of the car leaving it in your hands and not attached to the car,

When both sets of shocks have been removed the jack will now be supporting the axles weight not the shocks as they are now longer fitted,

After you have removed both shocks its now time to lower and jack slowly down and as you do this you will find that the springs will just fall out,

After the springs are removed it just a case of placing the old or new springs back up in place right way up then jacking the axle back up so the springs meet the upper and lower cups making sure they are sitting in the right place as they cam out,

Once you are happy the springs are in place after jacking the axle back up its now time to fit the old or new shocks back on at the top on the chassis leg but do not tighten the bolts up at this point,
Once you have this done its time to place the shock back on and attaching it to the axle again by pulling it onto the shock stub but you may have to jack the axle up or down to get the stub to line up with the hole on the shock again,
Once you have done both sides its now time to tighten the bolts and nuts back up on both shocks top and bottom,

Then its now time to fit the wheels back on and jack the car back up removing the axle stands then lowering the jack placing the car back down on its wheels,Job Done,

Any questions just ask iam here to help if i can,

All the best Donald
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donald For This Useful Post:
IT66 (19th March 2012), MartinT (4th August 2012)
  5 Lastest Threads by Donald
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Have You Stopped Smoking General Chat johnboyw 55 4387 21st September 2013 09:21 AM
AVS Music Converter to MP3 Free Download Help Computer Club Donald 2 1983 10th March 2012 03:02 PM
Posting Problem Feedback & Announcements hondo 21 4422 31st December 2011 04:11 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome