Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - My new Laguna 1.9dci Initial

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 19th May 2010
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Re: My new Laguna 1.9dci Initial

It's a very common mistake, and often an expensive one. Worst case scenario is that the internals of one of the fuel pumps will disintegrates into little shards of metal, and as the fuel system works on a loop (with excess being returned to the tank) the whole system ends up contaminated. Fingers crossed, you got away with it.

There are a couple of devices that you can get to prevent this. There's one that sticks to the rear of the fuel flap that plays a recorded voice as you're about to fill up, but I like the look of the replacement fuel cap that can only be (easily) opened with the nozzle off the diesel pump. Halfords do them - I think they're about 20 quid, and they claim to fit most cars.

A lot of newer cars have fillers that won't accept the unleaded nozzle. It's a great idea, but not without its pitfalls: It means that you can no longer use the truck forecourt at motorway services (the larger nozzle no longer fits) and it also looks next to impossible to fill from a spare can.

Edit: A couple of links for you. Looks like the petrol cap was more expensive than I thought
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome