Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #999 of (permalink) Old 21st May 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Well I recently received another standard "thank you for your letter but no further comments to add" note from the VOSA Corporate Office (I think they are getting a tad annoyed now!) I decided to not directly response to this letter and instead direct my email directly to the Ministry of Transport and Under Secretary of Transport - responsible for Road Safety....that's the Conservative MP, Mike Penning.

"Mike, Angie, Jade,

I am going try not to be rude in my response here.

The reason I have not formally responded directly to VOSA in relation to their letter sent and received on 11th May 2010, is because I do not believe this matter sits with VOSA any longer.

This remains a life-threatening issue which affects thousands of motorists on the UK roads (500k+ vehicles), and the risk to the road users are far too great too simply state we “acknowledge but have no further comment to make”. I am one on a growing list of “victims” that have almost been killed by an incident of no fault of ourselves. Renault Clio Mark-2’s bonnet catch remains dangerous and are in an urgent need to be officially recalled and the safety catch mechanism replaced effectively.

VOSA are simply stating that they are no longer in the position to deal with this matter appropriately, so I would suggest that no further correspondence is directly to or from VOSA, when they have proven their inability to deal with this safety risk. This is a road safety risk that does endanger the motorist lives and has unfortunately, impacted thousands already, mainly due to the slow actions of VOSA (& Renault). This remains classed as a safety defect, and we deserve a lot better performance in the way this is investigated and treated – it’s a basic Duty of Care that as employees of the State, we are simply not receiving the right or correctly applied focus.

I look forward for a more appropriate response to this road safety matter. VOSA are not capable of “dealing with the matter” and it is quite unacceptable to receive such replies going further. Thank you."

I received an interesting response today! Actually I read it and laughed so loudly my boss had to ask me what was up (I showed him the response I got, and he also laughed! He praised me top marks for being persistent though! Ha).

Here's the response from the DoT representative:

I’ve spoken to VOSA who are dealing with this issue and they are going to write back to Mr Brigatti. Please don not reply to any of his emails and engage in any correspondence with this man.

He has been writing to the Department for many years and won’t stop.

If he becomes persistent with his emails we can arrange to have them blocked.

Jade Baird
Diary Secretary and Assistant Private Secretary
Mike Penning
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State
for Transport
020 7944 4406"

I really don't care what they think of me - this simply shows that they have no respect for any of the victims (no matter which Government is in power), and that they think that they can walk all over the victims. It is simply not acceptable. This people are employees of the state, they are public service members of staff - and we pay their wages. The parliamentary teams email address are on the Parliament website and ultimately the DoT are responsible for VOSA's mandates. So as we have a complaint against VOSA, this is a complaint that the DoT need to look into!!

As I said, I really didn't take this personally, but since we have this email, it's going to be distributed widely now! Oh, she tried to recall the email a few minutes later - but too late

I wonder if Jade Baird has been asked into Mike Penning's office yet?

Oh and my response...well a bit of irony, but here it is:

"Thank you Jade for your note. At least you are being truthful on how you feel.

Shame this is how you intend to treat a public safety measure.

The reason we have remained on the case is because UK motorist's lives are at risk.

I look forward for your apology."

Your views very welcome!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome