Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - drive hub

Thread: drive hub
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 23rd May 2010
family man
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: drive hub

hello, just replaced my front hub bearing in my megane 1.9dci abs....bit of a pig, remove wheel and brake disc. require a puller to release the grip of the drive shaft splines,leave it in place,remove caliper and suspend it taking the strain from the flexi brake hose,unplug the abs sensor.
remove the steering balljoint bolt from the hub..if it starts a jack under the ball joint and jack up enough to help the shaft grip and not twist...undo the bolt by going anti then clock wise to ease any rust off and ease it off.
carefully remove the two bolts holding the bottom ball joint from the wishbone.
i found it hard to remove the two pinch bolts at the bottom of the strut, took the whole strut off in the end (gave me something to hang on to).
once hub and strut are free, you will have to try to pull or push the drive stub from the bearing. it will prob come apart in three bits. i do not have a press so used a suitably sized socket and struck this to gently remove the main bearing after first removing the large circlip from within the inside of the hub. part of my old bearing would not release from the stub axle so i applied some gentle heat to the old casing to swell it.
replacement was a gentle tapping on the outer edge of the bearing using the old outer case as a ring to hit helped. just go gentle putting it in or else you will distort the bearing and have to start again.
bearing for 1.9dci abs cost me 36 approx from wilcos.
would advise the use of a press if you can or take the hub to someone with one.
i am no major mechanic but cost forces me to do most of my work on my cars myself. hope this helps..took me about 2.5-3 hours start to finish+ bruised knees.
good luck
Currently in family man's garage:
megane 1.9dci 2001-toasted & 'betty' the citroen zx 1.9d 'banger'-also lightly toasted
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome