Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 27th May 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!

Hi Grande,

I'll do my best to give you some ideas as to possible causes, etc.
Firstly has the TDC sensor and its electrical connections been checked as it is a common cause of poor starting. Are the spark plugs clean and in good nick - what colour are they for instance.
You say depressing the accelerator aids starting and if this is the case it may be a fueling problem. A faulty engine coolant temp sensor or its electrical connections can also lead to starting problems. It's quite common for its electrical plug connectors to become corroded which results in high resistance thus upsetting the ECU readings. One other possibility could be a sticking or dirty fuel body.

I appreciate my comments may not cure the problem but I suggest these aspects be eliminated first as they seem to be the most common faults. I also hope you appreciate diagnosis over the internet isn't always an exact science and in many cases when working with cars many times it all down to a process of elimination.

Oh I nearly forgot one other possibility is a faulty connection or a fault in the wiring loom to the ECU also a known problem especially in Clios and Meganes. Have you any idea of the exact location of the wiring repaired by the AA??
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome