Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grinding noise on acceleration, all gears, quiet when upto speed, manual Laguna I V6

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 30th May 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Grinding noise on acceleration, all gears, quiet when upto speed, manual Laguna I V6

Hi all,

For information. This summer I plan on replacing the clutch, both head gaskets and plugs, along with all the regular service. This is my project car; I picked it up off a guy for 400 and fell in love with it, the only snag being a split-§§§§ throttle wire- easy fix and on my way. The furthest Iíve been into an engine was UxE'ing plugs, but Iíll give anything a try hence doing the gaskets and clutch soon.

If anyone knows the model number for the gearbox, and where the filling/level point is, it would be very helpful.

engine - L7XA 700

The problem:

The engine runs as a dream in neutral.
I've given all the wheels and associated parts a good visual, coasted on straights and bends, everything silent and fine. Changing gears is smooth

When accelerating, there is a metallic grinding/scraping noise until the car is up to speed. then all is silent and wellÖ
Loudest in 1st and 2nd, with some vibration.
Also happens in other gears with foot down, but not as loud

The car drives fine, and sometimes the problem is extinct
All fluid levels fine (except for the gearbox as I am unable to find the level plug)

Iíve been on forums for the last few hours looking for direction, and it appears that it sounds like the problem is either the gearbox bearings (but wouldn't the sound be constant with a bad bearing?), the clutch, or the dogbone (something Iíve never heard of till tonight)

any help would be great, cheers
Currently in urban_eagle's garage:
V6 Turbo Initial RTi Laguna II / V6 Initial RTi Laguna I / 1.2 Punto
  5 Lastest Threads by urban_eagle
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna Climate control fitting help Heating & cooling urban_eagle 0 704 10th September 2011 06:50 PM
Grinding noise on acceleration, all gears, quiet... Cars & motoring urban_eagle 6 6436 30th May 2010 10:41 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome