Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Do Euro Countries Have Private Number Plates?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 1st June 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Do Euro Countries Have Private Number Plates?

Alpineandy's right about Germany - the first block of letters (1, 2 or 3 characters) denotes the city where the car is registered and you must also live there. The more letters, the more "rural"/smaller the city is. It's a gross stereotype, but you can pretty much guess how likely they are to drive aggressively depending on how big the city they're from. There then follows 2 letters (if the car is a non-public registration) and a collection of numbers. You can ask for out of sequence letters and/or numbers and you'll get them if they're still available.

Going back to the original question though, I've wondered the same. In all my travels on the continent, I can never recall seeing a number plate that did not conform to the format of the country concerned. This implies that we're the only country that will let you have a different format string (i.e. other than "Xnnn XXX" or "XXX nnnX" or "XXnn XXX").
Currently in Salvidar's garage:
Laguna II (Phase 1 - '05), 2.0, Initiale Sport Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome