Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Master - Pre-Purchase Advice

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 16th June 2010
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Re: Renault Master 2005

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If it's a 2.5 dCi then in general they are a very good van,I'd say the one expensive weakness are the gearboxes on them.Check that the van goes into gear smoothly and that there are no nasty noises from it at all,they can loose syncros especially on the 6 speed boxes.Ours have lasted OK (one recon box fitted at 340,000miles on one van,one fitted at 130,000 miles on another),but if the van has been harshly treated then they can last a far shorter time.I always thought the 5 speed box was better,but we have just bought a 2005 2.5 dCi 100bhp van with a 5 speed box and that has had three gearboxes fitted in it's previous history and has only just gone over 100,000 miles now!.I think this is the exception rather than the rule though.

Apart from that,as long as the cambelts and auxillary belts on time and it's serviced correctly they tend to give veru few problems,certaintly no worse than any other make or model of van I have come across.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagdti For This Useful Post:
SeannaBraigh (17th June 2010)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome