Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Should Renault dealers charge for courtesy cars during recall work?

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 19th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by mr.ed
I have never been charged for a courtesy car and one of my cars is over 20 years old, whats more when I've picked my car up it's always been washed. True I sometimes have had to book in 2 weeks in advance as the dealership only has so many courtesy cars, but I have been given Kangoo, Modus, Megane and latterly the new Clio.
There you go Grand Scenery.... Staight from the horse's mouth, ey Mr Ed?!!!

Regarding what courtesy car they provide, I think the philosophy is that they try to tempt you to buy a new car by giving you something newer/nicer than yours, IF they think you are due for a replacement. Clever these dealers aren't they? Just look at the incentives some offer you to get you to take a trial run in one of their newer models.

I don't think they do any of this just to be nice and courteous but because (1) they are liable if the car is going in because of a recall and (2) they hope to get more of your dosh sooner rather than later. In any case, why do you think they charge 100 an hour for labour? Is it not because they have to take into account all their overheads and recurring expenses?

Unfortunately, having established the tariff globally, they then try to squirm from their obligations. They can (if they care to, through their I.T.) work out to the penny what everything costs.

I suppose that having said that, it should follow that if your dealer is only charging 30 per hour for labour, then you should maybe not insist on the added cost of a courtesy car. (Just so nobody decides I'm just a litigious bazturd who doesn't have any inclination towards being fair.)

Mega-modern showrooms and half a dozen suited sales executives (mostly sitting around doing nothing) costa mucho, si?

Enjoy the weather all you nice people.

Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome