Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #119 of (permalink) Old 6th July 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

Hi there I have to say that this seems to be a similar problem to my clio (1.2 Dynamique 2003), I have had just over four and a half years of enjoying this spritely car and only added about 20K out of 40K total mileage.

But these past 2 months or so I am now beginning to grow increasingly concerned. I first noticed a problem with the engine shuddering when I changed gear, I first thought maybe I am releasing the clutch too quickly, (something I sometimes do but not often), the problem still didn't go away. After a few trips of engine shuddering the coolant light flashed, I stopped at tesco checked it and it was 3/4 full, decided to add more just un case, coolant light came off but engine was still shuddering. the problem got worse:

Example I am in 5th gear doing 70mph on a level motorway, I ease off the acceleration down to about 60mph when there is more congestion, congestion eases and I try to accelerate only it can't, all of a sudden it is like the horses have gone to sleep or bolted, suddenly I have had to dropped down to 4th gear and apply a lot more gas to keep the car from decelerating completely.

At traffic lights this is where it get's even more interesting, I find to prevent the car shuderring to halt you have to be very slow on the clutch and very high on the gas (ie over revving when the clutch is on) after going in to second the engine shudders, reaches and then jolts into a bout of acceleration as if it suddenly it has had nitrous oxide added, when I go into gear 3 I am at about 30mph but if I go in to 4th gear the engine shudders way to much to stay in gear, and this is all on level road. For a clio that used to run quite low in gears it's now got the exact oppoisite.

I then decided it was coming up to 2 years and 40K so as it was getting close to it's suggested servicing, perhaps it was telling me to get it done earlier. So they replaced the plugs and other parts such as break pads, when it came out there was only a hint of the shudder (almost like in Airwolf's Ghost of Moffet) managed a trip from London to Leicester ok, but on the return, the problem got worse again.

I am deeply concerned that this car has had a service and MOT, and has therefore been declared as road worthy, when it clearly isn't. Even more cause for concern is that this problem hasn't been clearly identified from what I can see from the thread. I am really dissapointed and do not want plough money into needless changes, just on the off chance it might be this or it might be that.

I am planning to take it back to garage and see if I can get the wire on the wiring looms changed and see whether i can get this done without additional charge.

But any aditional advice would be grateful.
Currently in davejavu's garage:
Renault Clio 2003 1.2 16v Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome