Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Roof box Advice Sought

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 19th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
We bought an RBX4500 from Motor World. The prices of them seemed very reasonable compared with the alternatives, and I think Motor World still have them on sale at the same price. I don't know if they have branches in the ROI though.

I was originally going to go for the smaller box, but it wouldn't fit on the Laguna bars without drilling the bottom of the box. I'm glad I went for the bigger one, as we can easily fill it. It effectively doubles the available load space on the Laguna II hatch.

Having never had another roof box to compare it to, I can't really comment on quality other than to say that the roof bar fastenings seem very substantial, and it's never let a drop of water in while driving, even through some torrential rain. The locking mechanism could be more solid, but is probably sufficient to put off the casual thief.

Though I've seen enough of these things pop open on the motorway not to trust the locking mechanism entirely. I also secure mine with ratchet tie-downs whenever I'm driving, and I would recommend anyone else using a roof box to do the same. In the UK, you can usually find the tie-downs in pound shops for (you guessed it) a quid each, and though the mechanisms on the cheaper ones can seize up after a while when exposed to the elements, at that price you don't object to buying a new set every twelve months.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome