Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 54 Clio MKII - Sunroof Glass on Metal Tapping

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th July 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
54 Clio MKII - Sunroof Glass on Metal Tapping

I'm looking for advice before I go insane and plough my Clio into the nearest wall.

I've had a 54 plate Clio mk 2 for about 2 and a half years. Over the last 12 months there has been a sound of metal tapping against glass from the sunroof and its gradually become much more frequent, now bumps that I can't even see in the road set it off.

It seems to happen when the body flexes due to a bump on one side of the car but not the other. It sounds like its coming from the rear end of the standard tilting sunroof.

With the sunroof closed if you push up on the glass near the rear end the noise stops however driving one handed isn't a great idea.

I've taken the sun roof out and put a rubber edge across any metal edges that are near to the sun roof but this hasn't made any difference.

I've also tightened the sunroof fastenings just in case.

It sounds exactly the same as if you take your key and tap it against a window. I've been drowning it out by turning the radio up and not closing the sunroof but now that the rains back I can't keep doing that.

Just to be clear, this is not the creaking noise people complain about. The Clio already has the sunroof modification fitted by Renault (rubber tubing + grease). There is also some Velcro like stuff around the metal that is near the body frame and the metal casting on the catch. This doesn't appear to do anything useful.

From memory when I bought it, there was a slight noise from the sunroof and the dealer mentioned something about the seal. However this guy was a salesman so it was probably a load of rubbish. Whatever this was, it was corrected by the time I received the car.

Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas what could be causing it? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Currently in MezzFA0's garage:
2009 Clio Mk III
  5 Lastest Threads by MezzFA0
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2009 Clio III Smashed Fog Light/Bulb Replacement Electronics MezzFA0 0 1810 8th March 2014 05:15 PM
54 Clio MKII - Sunroof Glass on Metal Tapping Bodywork MezzFA0 4 4196 14th July 2010 09:20 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome