Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - EGR Valve Cleanup

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd July 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
EGR Valve Cleanup

Having read the horror stories, I decided to try a DIY job on the EGR of my Scenic 1.9DCi (89k miles).
To get at it, I only had to undo the left end of the air filter housing.
The three bolts came out very easily, however, as mentioned in another thread, it seemed solidly stuck in place to start off with. I started off by giving it a few judicious taps with a light steel hammer, then tapped the flange sideways to rotate it, successfully (Care needed, as the aluminium could snap across the bolthole).
I was able to waggle mine out a little way with the strength of my grip; I was then able to get a screwdriver in behind and lever it gently the rest of the way.
Maybe I was lucky -- this was all done with no damage to the faces or the thin steel gasket.

Here is what I found:Click image for larger version

Name:	EGR 001.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1182

Despite the heavy coking, the valve itself seemed to be moving freely, but it is easy to imagine a further buid-up or a lump coming loose and jamming it, one way or another.
I didn't use any solvents, for fear of getting them into the solenoid. I just cleaned it up with a wire brush and an old screwdriver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EGR 004.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1183

Without interruptions the whole job would be a couple of hours.
I'm passing the time doing this thread while waiting for a thunderstorm to pass, then I'll be putting things back. I don't suppose there will be any noticeable difference, but I'll add to this in a week after some holiday running.
Currently in Cosmite's garage:
2010 Citroen C3 Picasso 1.6hdi
  5 Lastest Threads by Cosmite
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Toyota Yaris Verso 2001 Automatic petrol... Other makes Paul_Taylor 10 5228 23rd February 2013 11:43 AM
2001 Scenic: Gears sticking in warm weather Engines Cosmite 10 2816 29th May 2012 03:28 PM
Talbot Express - Coil Wiring Help Needed Other makes Cosmite 1 2815 4th September 2010 08:19 PM
Any Tomato Growers in Here? General Chat Cosmite 3 985 8th October 2007 05:12 PM
EGR Valve Cleanup Cars & motoring nthesx 6 2267 22nd July 2006 03:51 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome