Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!

View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 23rd July 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!

Hi all.

its been a while since ive needed your services but i thought as im having issues that seem similar to some ive read here it would be worth a try.

since purchasing my yreg 1.2 clio over 3 years ago ive had intermittent problems which have all been fixed and i must say have improved the cars performance in general, however over the last few weeks ive had issues with the car starting.

It turns over fine and starts 1st kick sometimes but 9 out of 10 start ups at the moment it take a few turns of the key to kick the car into wanting to actually start.

the car is definatly turning over its just being a pain and not doing it first time all the time.

I did try and put it down to the real hot weather we were having and triedd to convince myself thats all it was but its since cooled off and its not getting better, plus nothing under the bonnet looks melted or damaged.

10 months ago i fitted a new meaty battery so its not that, i had all sparks changed, so its not that and at the same time i had a whole new throttle body fitted so its not that.

ive had a look myself (not really that clued up but know a bit) and got people i know to have a peek and we have run through all sorts of scenarios...starter motor, solanoid etc etc, but none make sense as its turning and its starting and it sounds and is fine when running......... however i have noticed its a little 'lumpy' when sitting idle and has recently stalled when sitting idle for a little while, no set time but it has shut down, electrics and radio etc still on but no engine movement. i was now wondering if it is just something to do with fuel? have i had some kinda sludge or something in the tank thats blocking leads/tubes? it feels every so often that its trying to push something though when sitting idle. not that its bumpy and jumping all over the place just like theres a block and the car needs to push harder making it feel slightly lumpy when just sitting still. sorry i cant describe that better, its one of those things you need to feel to understand i presume.

Any help would be great.

Cheers Emma.
Currently in 3mmy's garage:
2002 Renault Clio Extreme 1.2
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome