Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale Newbie

View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 24th July 2010 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale Newbie

Hi dpress. No problem. There may be others who will want to contribute too but this was my finding/method, which seemed to work. Do ask if there is anything that you are not sure of in my explanation please just ask (next time I will remember to take some photos which would probably help more!):

1. Remove RH plastic cover trim (quarter turn of plastic clip and lift/pull the cover off its two prongs securing it to the scuttle)

2. Air filter cover is top right of engine bay behind battery. It is held in place with four Phillips screws on each corner of the cover - two long and two short. Undo all of these but do not take them (or the cover) off yet.

(at this point if you just want to check the condition of the filter element you can probably lift the airbox a couple of centimetres to see if its OK i.e. not black and sooty Should be yellow and clean if it’s a Renault item).

3. From the plastic airbox cover you can see a large connecting tube going to the left with an electronic connection on top. This is the MAF (air sensor) and you need to pop the plug off. Use a flat screwdriver then pull it back carefully out of the way somewhere.

4. After this MAF tube you will see a large jubilee clip to the left that holds the airbox/ maf in place to the flexible ducting. You need to undo/loosen this clip but, as above, do not remove anything yet.

5. Now, on mine I had to undo the battery base clip to shift it a few centimetres ‘south’ (it’s the silver metal bracket at the front of the battery that stops it from moving around). NOTE: Don’t put any tools down on the battery because you might inadvertently short it out! I also had to take off the two brass-looking nuts on the bulkhead that hold the two black prongs in place (that stick out from the scuttle to hold the plastic engine trim/cover in place mentioned in step 1 above). You don’t remove them but again, it just allows you some wriggle room later. I also had to unclip the large fuse block from its base to give me some extra wriggle space. The lid is easy – it sits on three plastic spigots that simply pop off – no tools required. The base has two spade connectors at the front that hold the whole box on its cradle. These are easy to unclip again using a flat screwdriver. Just ensure that you don’t tug it too hard as this is connected to your wiring underneath.

6. Now, back to the airbox and you should find you can now remove the box top. Pop the MAF tube bit out from the conduit (where the jubilee clip is) by lifting it away. Then by wriggling, lifting and jiggling you should be able to lift the airbox top out of the way revealing your air filter element! Take care not to knock/drop the unit/ MAF sensor as this is delicate. Inspect/replace the filter as needed. I also took the opportunity to vac out the inside of the air box housing as it had dirt/leaves in it.

Fitment is a complete reversal of the above...hopefully. Start by feeding in the MAF sensor tube into the flexible conduit and then drop the airbox top back onto its base. Once seated do up the 4 screws , do up the jubilee clip, put back the two nuts holding the prongs in place, re-connect the Maf sensor, put back the battery holding thingy, pop back the fuse box holder and then its lid and then start the car to make sure all is ok on the dash board. If happy, put top cover back on and enjoy!

Currently in Wile7's garage:
2002 3.5 Initiale Vel Satis, 1996 Caterham 1700 Supersprint, 95 Merc W124 E200 estate, 2007 Suzuki Swift, 1995 Mercedes Sprinter 412, Aprilia Moto Starck 6.5
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome