Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Nyone Tow A Caravan With Lag 2

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 24th July 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Nyone Tow A Caravan With Lag 2

:D Just been scanning the forums & noticed this thread!

Buying a van was the reason I ended up with my Lag II. I'd heard that they were almost ideal for the job, but can't say I've seen that many actually doing the job!!

Anyway, have been on a fair few journeys now & I have found through my own experiences that Horatio is spot on. 6th gear in the main is a joke (in my car), unless you're on an M-Way & prepared to go above 60. Otherwise it just dies. I drove down to Hereford (from Edinburgh) a couple of weeks ago and mainly did it in 5th. I think I averaged 30mpg on that journey, which was fairly windy as far as the lakes.

However, on the way back I was tempting to do the journey in a oner and tried 6th again. No joy at anything below 60, but at 60 - 65 it just takes on a new level all together. Felt really responsive & gave me better fuel economy. Averaged 35mpg on the way back! Most of that (in fact all of it) was on the M6 & M74.

As for loading the van & car...again, absolutely spot on. I put my awning just behind the vans axle and that feels like it gives the whole structure more stability. I also put the two cases we had at the front of the van and left the boot with basically all the junk (dogs beds, shoes/boots, food....anything not too heavy). There were 3 adult passengers & 3 dogs in the car, so all in all I reckon I did not bad getting 35mpg!

Great idea for a thread....even if I'm 4 years late in joining it!!
Currently in Marky70's garage:
Laguna II 1.9dci 52 plate
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome