Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane II 1.9 dci - Advise please

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 25th July 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Megane II 1.9 dci - Advise please

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
In my experience turbos on the 1.9 Dci engines tend to be flakey and I have seen them fail at 30,000 miles. When buying any car regardless of make how it has been treated and serviced will tend to influence its reliability and abilty to withstand a remap. I think it has to be accepted that increasing the power output of any engines brings some inherent risks.
It is well accepted in the motor trade that Renaults service intervals of 18,000 miles is far too long and in fact Renault have recently reduced the intervals on many models especially the Dci engines to 12K.

In my opinion the risk of turbo failure is likely to increase over 75,000 miles but I must stress that is purely my opinion and no doubt many owners will have found to the contrary.
Thanks for the quick response.
There are numerous factors that come into the equation, as you mentioned, maintenance and possible abuse being the main factors.

I have noticed that ignorance is also a major factor, in South Africa we have 500PPM diesel, and only selected service stations stock 50PPM diesel. And most people don't know, notice or care that they are actually feeding the engine the wrong grade diesel. And out of personal experience with the Clio, both Renault agents we used, used the wrong grade oil . They used petrol engine graded oil , and stated that it doesn't matter as long as it's fully synthetic (contrary to what the service manual states).

So there are a lot of factors that come into play.
But I was wondering how the 1.9 motor would stand up to these conditions. Some cars do cope very well and can do 300 000km's with ease. I was hoping the Renault 1.9 would be one of them

I am rather OCD when it comes to vehicle maintenance and precautions. Like idling down for a minute or two to let the turbo cool down, only use 50PPM diesel, and to do an oil and filter replacement every 5000km's, along with cleaning the diesel filter every second or third week.

I'm hoping these will be in my favor to get more trouble free mileage out of the car before I suffer the consequences of the previous owner's carelessness.

**The diesel filter might sound over the top, but it's shocking how much water gets trapped in the filter after a few weeks. Our diesel quality is appalling.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome