Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane II 1.9 dci - Advise please

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 25th July 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Re: Megane II 1.9 dci - Advise please

The Dci engines are very particular when it comes to both quality of both diesel fuel and lube oil and being in a difficult area for supply doesn't help either. The 1.5 Dci in particular has a known history of sticking piston rings and burning oil .
Also modern filters (both fuel and oil ) are quite small - not like the used to be.
I used to work with marine engines and not only had they large filters but also water separation units on their fuel lines. In all honesty I don't believe modern Renaults would be up to it in such a rigorous environment. I live in a wet climate area (Northern Ireland) and when it comes to Renaults they suffer badly from water ingress.
Like buying any second hand car knowing its history is the key and I don't mean a regularly stamped service book as fakes can now be bought on-line. Knowing the previous owners personally goes a long way.
Good luck with whatever you decide to buy but I would be concerned about remapping especially were the quality of fuel is likely to be poor.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
The Following User Says Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
endeekay (10th August 2010)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome