Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Whistling noise on my Renault Megane DCI

View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 31st July 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Whistling noise on my Renault Megane DCI

Originally Posted by clios-are-well-fast View Post
accelerate out of control?????
get some fact about turbos before you try to sound smart and clever.
Hi Clios-are-well-fast.

If you read the title of this thread you will clearly see it relates to a turbo charged diesel engine not a petrol engine.

Whilst some of what you say may be true of petrol engines the same cannot be said of diesels. On Renault engines the turbos are both lubricated and cooled by the engine oil feed system. Should the turbo seals and/or bearings fail oil will be pumped into the inlet manifold. As diesels use compression (not an ignition spark) to ignite its fuel then the engine will run on its own lube oil . Better still diesels don't have throttles in the conventional sense and are known as free-air breathers so taking you foot of the accelerator makes no difference whatsoever. As diesel engine are free-breathers then as long as they get unregulated fuel (be it diesel or lube oil ) the revs wiull continue to rise unabated or the engine self destructs.
And as already said the only way of stopping the engine is to stall it. Many many motorists have suffered this problem and not just Renaults by the way.

I would politely suggest before being critcial of posts or wrongly accusing forum members of being smart and clever (I quote your own words by the way) I suggest you do some research on how diesel engines and their turbos operate.
It's never to late to learn and members of the forum would gladly offer advice and knowledge as long as they are not being insulted. In other words don't bite the hand that may feed you.
We are a friendly well mannered bunch and welcome positive contributions made in a knowledgeable and friendly manner. On the other hand we don't tolerate bull**** either.

Oh by the way I have been driving and working at turbo diesels for 15 years or more.:loser:
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome