Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2002 Scenic 1.9 dCi

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st July 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2002 Scenic 1.9 dCi

Hi all,

New member here. I've been searching the forums like mad for days now and have come across this forum countless times in Google but I hope there's enough here to warrant a new thread. Been saving myself for a post but maybe I've overdone it as you're about to see! Please bear in mind that I'm a long term front wheel drive petrol vehicle owner, so the transition to diesel just needs some time

I bought a second hand *probably full title incoming* 2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 dCi Priviledge last week and have a bunch of questions I hope someone can shed some light on.

At my local Part Co. today, they linked my registration into the DVLA database and apparently this car is an RX4. Am I right in thinking this means a 4 wheel drive? I haven't been using the RX4 bit when searching for info and to be honest, wouldn't know what one felt like to drive anyway. I was however surprised to see it there.

I was buying new oil and the Unipart 5W40 fully synthetic was a steal at £18 odd. A bit of reading just now also threw open the possibility that this might be a premium oil rebadged? Can anyone confirm this please?

Mostly everything seems fine on the new Scenic and we're really happy despite the multitude of horror stories the net seems to have on Renaults! However, after a bit of rain this morning we were shocked to get splashed on with water coming from the sunroof control panel. Is this likely to have come through the sunroof itself? A friend suggested cleaning the hard mold type stuff on the seal to sort it out, which I've done.. but is there anything else I should watch out for?

One issue I was aware of when buying the car, was a slightly over tight timing belt. There's a whirr / whine in line with the engine revs and a mechanic has assured me it is fine but the belt will simply wear out more quickly. The local Renault service said that it was not something you could just fix, it had to be a complete timing reset (coming in at just over £300). I'm calling poppycock on this as a slackening of a couple of mm on the tensioner surely wont throw the whole timing out? If anyone could offer input to this it'd be appreciated

Last thing and only a little one. There's an annoying bit of slack on the accelerator pedal before the engine responds to pressure - a dead spot. Normally in my old world, this would be an easy job of taking some slack up on the carb. Since I'm now like a fish out of water and no carb, I don't know where to look!!

I do tend to type a lot so before I put readers off with a wall of text (too late) I'll check back to see if there's anything more I need to add! Muchas gracis, Carlos.
Currently in Carlos777uk's garage:
2002 Renault Scenic 1.9 dCi
  5 Lastest Threads by Carlos777uk
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
6 weeks later and still not fixed Engines duck51 18 4177 17th July 2011 05:09 PM
Mintex or Pagid Brake Pads Wheels & tyres saabguy 7 4710 3rd August 2010 11:47 AM
Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W-40 Fully Synthetic Engines madnoel10 1 5376 1st August 2010 10:39 AM
2002 Scenic 1.9 dCi Cars & motoring Carlos777uk 13 13894 31st July 2010 04:48 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome