Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2002 Scenic 1.9 dCi

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 31st July 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Re: 2002 Scenic 1.9 dCi

Hi Carlos - welcome to the forum.

Not being able to see your vehicle I can't tell if its an RX4 or not - have a search through the Parkers website you may be bale to recognise the variations. It is not unknown for the DVLA database to be incorrect. What does the registration documents state?

A whining timimg belt is definitely not a good sign and there is a special tool for checking its tension. It is not something that should be done by either ear or eye. I can understand Renault insisting they want to renew the belt. If it fails after they have worked on it - guess who you'll complain to eh!! I would suggest you get it checked ASAP - a failed belt can result in serious engine damage. Personally I wouldn't want a belt that has been running at the incorrect tension as it more than likely to have suffered undue stresses. Furhermore the whine could be a duff tensioner puller bearing. Do you know if it and the water pump were replaced at the same time as the belt as recommended.

The hesitation in the acceleration may be due to a dirty or faulty EGR valve - a fairly common problem on modern diesels so it may be worth getting that aspect checked.

The sunroof leak may be due to blocked drains - open the sunroof and have a close look in the corners - water should flow easily through them and appear under the car. Blocked drains both at the sunroof and the windscreen scuttle panel are fairly common problems.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome