Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2002 Scenic 1.9 dCi

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 31st July 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: 2002 Scenic 1.9 dCi

Whilst the guy that replaced the timing belt may be a mechanic and the whine is definitely from the timimg belt its obvious he didn't do somethng correctly. Its not unusual for some mechanics to do a cheapo job and replace the belt only so I suggest you try and find out exactly what parts have been replaced before going any further.
When renewing the timing belt it is essential a full belt kit be used (this includes new tensioners, etc) plus a new water pump. In my opinion it is false economy to do otherwise. A belt failure can cause severe engine damage which can up to a £1000 or more to repair and actually cost more than the car is worth. Yes Monsieur Renault can be expensive but a decent independent garage should have the necessary tools to check the belt tension.
You say the belt looks relatvely new. Have you removed the belt cover for inspection.
If you are prepared to take the risk with the current belt I would strongly recommend it stension be checked correctly.

I don't know if the Hatnes manual would be exactly right for your car but as long as it covers the 1.9 Dci engine many aspects will be similar.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome