Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace 3 - Steering Arm Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 1st August 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Re: Espace MK3 'Inner' trackrod ball joint

Well I took the wheel off, turned it onto right hand lock and had a look. This is how I solved the problem. Undo the track rod end from the steering arm and then count the threads left on the link rod. Remove the track rod end from the link rod. Cut the cable tie on the large end of the rubber gaiter and pull the gaiter off. Take an angle grinder and start cutting with a cutting disc to remove the link rod. Keep cutting to remove the link rod ball from inside the inner ball joint. Keep cutting back being careful to keep the surface even across the flat. You will get to a point where the metal glows red, this means it is thin. You are now getting to the area of the spring metal locking washer. Cut only down to the washer and at this point the thread portion of the inner ball joint should become free and you can unscrew it from the steering rack but remember it will be hot. Clean the area very well from the grinding dust especially the steering rack assembly. Using a small amount of stud lock, fit the new inner ball joint to the rack making sure the locking washer and spring clip are in the correct position. Tighten with large grips. Refit rubber gaiter with new cable tie. Refit track rod end to link rod making sure correct number of threads are left showing and lock off. Fit track rod end to steering arm. Refit wheel. Job’s a goodn and only took me about an hour.
Currently in garygp3's garage:
Home built, turbo based jet engine. Full thrust (100 lbs) @ 90,000 rpm. pics at www gp3 co uk
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome