Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2007 TRAFIC 2 litre Clutch & Damper Woes

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th August 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2007 TRAFIC 2 litre Clutch & Damper Woes

Hi Folks (from downunder)
First off I have had my Trafic for 3 years, I work as an independent courier contractor and covered 100,000 kms in 3 years without trouble.
My experiences have been pretty darn good (maybe I was lucky) my biggest ***** is how soft the disc rotors are (replaced 2 already) and pads to go with them (4 sets so far).
I recently had an experience I wanted to share though. I had a feeling of slipping when turning left. Tyres were due for replacement so naturally I thought due for some new rubber. No change though. Then a spring appeared on the floor from god knows where. On investigation it appears to have dislodged from a bracket adjoining the clutch pedal. Strange indeed so passing one of my customers who is a mechanic I got him to order a new one as it appeared to have worn at the bottom where it fitted onto the bracket. However the slippage problem still occured so off for a wheel alignment. Shock horror after 100k kms still perfect - never been done or adjusted.
So sitting at the wheel musing about this with the mechanic I moved the steering left and right and heard a clicking. Onto hands and knees and there it was. The damn bracket was breaking away from the pedal box hence no tension of the damper spring and why it had fallen off. And because this bracket was hanging low it was impinging on the steering joint knuckle bolts on left turns. Bent it back up and the slippage was gone ! Yooohoooo. HOWEVER as I was still under warranty (it was 8 days and 800 kms from expiry of same) Renault dealer checked it and ordered a new pedal box but 2 week wait. Van was still driveable to be honest could not feel any difference without the spring (which I believe is a clutch damper mechanism of sorts). Two weeks yes we have a new pedal box for you but can;t get you in to change it for another 2 weeks. No problem I thought silly me. Today the clutch went to the floor and fluid started leaking onto the floor from under the centre console. Suspect slave cylinder has gone. Mechanics I have spoken too seem to think that the bracket keeps the clutch pedal travel straight and leesens the pressure exerted on the clutch. So when driving without the bracket/spring it has caused some movement over the mechanism and piston in the slave and eventually the seals have burst. Also they suspect the spring lessens the pressure exerted on the slave mechanism so between the two bingo the slave has gone west (we think)
Anyway thought I might share - will report back after I hear from Renault.
Currently in stormtigers's garage:

Last edited by stormtigers; 5th August 2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: amended title of thread
  5 Lastest Threads by stormtigers
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2007 TRAFIC 2 litre Clutch & Damper Woes Cars & motoring carcomm 5 7933 5th August 2010 09:59 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome