Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 3.0 dci new shape espace read this it`ll save you a fortune in servicing.

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11th August 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: 3.0 dci new shape espace read this it`ll save you a fortune in servicing.

Originally Posted by golfprouk View Post
I have a new shape grand espace 3.0 dci. It needed a 61 k service. Outside of warranty i thought i`d do it myself...grab the bits from motor factors and chuck my mechanic 30 quid for fitting the basics.

Ha HA HA i should be so lucky!

The oil filter is renault only and the most expensive paper element filter you ever saw! 56 quid renault only and that was trade.
Synthetic oil 5w 40 i think. About 35 plus vat trade a gallong and you need to buy the second gallon as One is not enough! thats about 85 quid right!
Then the fuel filter was 17 plus vat renault only
The air filter was a 15 odd.
Now I wasnt going to do brake fluid and coolant but its should be done and thats more money again.

Guess what the trade parts add upto more than 200 quid. let alone fitting them etc.
Nationwide autocenters, who look like a semi pro setup AA approved and all that! Will do a service called a major service on thatcar for 219 fixed price. with all the usual
B---sh-t bits they do ...steering wheel ...check! 4 wheels ...check!
any way they do the brake fluid and coolant renewal plus if they cant get the parts from a motor factor they cannot charge you if its main dealer only parts which this is!

plus you can pay with clubcard 55 of clubcard vouchers turns into 220 quids worth of deals tokens. Book it in and let them carry on i say.

You cannot have discount off as well by booking on website but you can do a quote on there and hold them to it when you ring up, no further discounts.
also they will try to get out of it ike they did to me. We cant getan oil filter Mr.___ you better have it back. I already rang renault and they had it in stock so they got one in and the other gubbings and tried to say I`d have to pay extra for which I said you must be joking its fixed price mate.
next they tried to charge me for synthetic oil . Now they do have a sign up saying there is a charge at the desk, but on website where they list all the servicing types everyone except the major service has the caviat of ** synthetic oil charge may apply however the Major servcie description has no caviat and it is conspicous by its ommission.
I also quoted verbally for a 2.2 dci espace and the charge for synthetic ol was quoted as 4 extra only. Its supposed to be nominal charge not the whole cost of oil . so any probs and just go to head office numbers on website and play merry hell as these places are not franchised they are owned by the one head offic as it were.
Heres a laugh- they really didnt like me by the end of it all as I tucked them up a bit by reading the smallprint. They offered a timing belt change to me for 400 labour with parts.
Firstly i said you are wrong the 3.0 dci doesnt need doing till a whopping 120,000 and the labour they quoted was so low its unreal. The renault quote for this is like 1500 as its so tricky so i suggested he might not want to band that about too much...especially not to me as i might take him up on it.
hope this helps all renault parts bearly for major servcie, a semi official stamp in service book and only 55 quids worth of tesco vouchers. not bad
if this hepls anyone let me know.
Go to, register for free, type in your registration number, go to "Service Parts", and all the filters and oils are there at MUCH lower prices. All good stuff too, and they deliver free. I have a Mk4 3.0 dCi and just did the oil , fuel and air filters, along with 10 litres of excellent quality "Carlube" 5-40 oil for slightly under 80, including VAT. Can't beat it with a stick.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidatgb For This Useful Post:
148638 (23rd March 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome