Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to adapt Keyless system?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 25th July 2006
John J
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I too asked the local dealership about this. My 53 Espace doesn't have it and having borrowed a car with it thought it was a nice option.

The main thing I wanted was the hands free start/stop function. Not bothered about the auto door opening. Figures I was quoted were 2K plus! I wondered if there was a desire to sell me a newer Espace. Sorry chaps but there are aftermarket devices which I believe could be fitted in such a way to provide the same functionality for circa £200.

Very interested to hear your views on the keyless system. Many thanks.

I was suprised to hear your story (penultimate para). I thought that the keyless system would cut the engine if the key was outside the car for greater than several mins. I liked the idea of being able to leave the car running for a while (e.g. to move a bin carefully placed in the middle of the drive e.g. by a car thief) without the risk of the car being successfully stolen & driven for long. In fact, isn't there an audible & visible warning alarm to say the card is outside the vicinity of the car?

I thought it was actually illegal to leave a car running without anyone inside the vehicle which was why the turbo over-run timers (used to enable turbos to cool off/run down before disconnecting the oil feed) were illegal? Perhaps the law has changed?
Currently in John J's garage:
Family car - 2004 3.0dCi Grand Espace. Fun car - Calibra 4x4 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome