Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to adapt Keyless system?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I'd imagine it's a safety feature. You wouldn't want the engine to cut out if the battery in the card happened to run flat while you were doing 70 in the outside lane of the motorway. Even if they tied the system into the speed sensor (so that the engine would only stop if the car wasn't moving) it could still leave you stranded in an awkward place, at least until you realised that you needed to stick the card in the slot to get you going again.

On my Laguna, you get beeps and an on-dash warning if the card leaves the vehicle while the engine is still running. You can still drive the car, though I don't know whether you can stop the engine - I'll have to try it. If you can't, then maybe this is a deliberate new feature, so that at least you can go home and get your key

When it comes to leaving the card in the car, there is a fairly quiet beep that sounds for as long as the card is still in the car, supposedly to remind you to remove it. The problem is that, as it does it every single time you use the car, you quickly learn to ignore it, and I don't even consciously hear it anymore.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome