Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 1 - Intermittant Starting Problems

View Single Post
post #36 of (permalink) Old 19th August 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Megane - Intermittant Starting Problems

Hi all

I just registered on the Renault Forum after sorting out a starting problem on my Renault Megane Coupe 1.6L 16v Dynamique 2001 X Reg AUTO, all thanks to some of the fantastic comments made on these forums, for which I offer my upmost thanks to all those that directed me to what seems to have been the problem all along!

I bought my Renault end of March 2010 and it always had intermittent starting was so annoying because the car was a lovely drive once the engine was running, but boy was it reluctant to get going sometimes! I took it back to the Citroen garage where we bought it (had been traded in) and they looked over it did some tests etc and couldnt find any particular fault.

They recommended I took it directly to the local Renault garage to have a full diagnostic performed, but when I rang the arrogant useless pr**ks at the local Ranult garage around the corner from my house they told me it would be around 95 and also said that as its an intermittent fault it may or may not show up when they do it!?! Needless to say that became a last resort and at this point I got on google and started to find pages and pages of fellow Renault owners with the same or very similar issues...

The plot thickens...after trawling whats seemed like hundreds of pages one problem kept coming up over and over and over again, one which was relatively cheap to sort out as well...On the side of the engine of Renault cars the age of mine there is a TDC Sensor (Top Dead Centre Sensor) which I believe in many other cars is known as a Crankshaft Sensor...this sensor (too my understanding) is little more than a magnet but it does feed information to the onboard computer, information which I believe tells the engine how hot or cold the fuel needs to be to start the engine...But if this sensor gets too dirty it can stop the correct information being sent to the starting systems, hence causing the problem. Apparantly these TDC Sensors are very easy to clean, but given that mine might be almost 10 years old I opted for just replacing it with a brand new one!

This sensor is tiny, cheap and very easy to fit yourself (although I still got Citroen to do it for me!)...I bought mine for just under 30 delivered from this company which was again recommended all over the Renault Forums:

Give them a call, tell them your exact model and they will identify exactly which part you need. I was pescimistic that such a small part could make such a HUGE difference to my starting problems, but now 2 weeks later my Renault hasnt misfired once (touching LOTS of wood right now!!) and has been a delight to drive!!

I guess to cut a long story short I want to thank all those people on these forums who suggested this solution to the problem and just suggest trying changing this small part before doing anything more expensive to anyone experiencing the same issues! The car you were ready to drive into a wall will be a car u love again, just like mine!
Currently in manonamission's garage:
Renault Megane Coupe Dynamique 2001 X Reg
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome