Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - locking wheel nut cracked!

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
If the puncture's not so bad that the tyre won't take air, then pump it back up and drive it to a tyre place. Give them the damaged key and ask them to have a go with their air wrench. The hammer action of these wrenches can be sufficiently 'shocking' to shift a damaged bolt, even with a damaged key. I had exactly this problem happen on one of my Lagunas once, and the air wrench got the wheel of without a problem.

My next question is - who last had the wheel off? It sounds like they've overtorqued the bolt. When I had this happen, I was lucky in that the car had recently been serviced by Renault and they'd changed the front brake pads. I was therefore certain that they were the last people to remove the wheel, and therefore certain that they must have overtorqued the bolt. After a bit of arguing, they still refused to admit liability but fitted a new set of (better) locking bolts free of charge as a good will gesture.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome