Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Motrio Engine Oil - good or bad compared to Castrol

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 23rd August 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Motrio Engine Oil - good or bad compared to Castrol

Each to their own then but if an oil has met the relevant SAE/ACEA strict standards then its safe to use or else it wouldn't have met the required standard and it wouldn't be fit for purpose... unless of course the manufacturer demands a specific grade level oil is used as VAG & BMW do. Paying thru the nose for a generic "Castrol" oil on the basis that it has more "Additives" than say a "Carlube" branded oil meeting exactly the same SAE/ACEA accreditation is, again in my opinion, just ludicrous. Where does it list these so called additives and the volumes in which they're used to back this up? You also say that cheaper oils "breakdown" faster than more expensive ones... based on what actual facts do you make this statement? I know about the deployment of detergents and dispersant's in lubricants which is one of the reasons why Fully-synthetic oils have a longer service life over semi-synthetic oils but does more automatically mean its going to do the job in the long run better? (Does the blue ink in your pen make it write better than my blue pen)? I see what you said above as nothing more than repeating technobabble that sales marketing twits designed to make people pay for more expensive oils as they don't know any better.

I'm not picking a fight by the way, just saying that you shouldn't always believe what "they" say because "they're" the ones selling it to you!

If you give your car what it needs when it needs it then the engine will last and frequent, regular oil and filter changes will be far more beneficial (IMO) than longer interval changess irregardless of the detergents used in the oil ... it's the whole supermarket fuel Vs premium fuels argument again.

Currently in mickpm's garage:
1992 BTCC 19 16v
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome