Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Motrio Engine Oil - good or bad compared to Castrol

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 23rd August 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Motrio Engine Oil - good or bad compared to Castrol

Here is my opinion/experience on the subject. I worked for the MoD for about 7 years testing oil companies submission samples against an MoD specification to see if they passed. I was also a certified 'rater' of pistons after a test.
Basically the MoD would request quotes for say 1,000,000 gallons of oil to meet the specification.
Oil companies would specially blend the oils to meet the spec.
Anyway the oil companies would submit a sample and give the MoD quote for the oil . We would then test the oil in a european standard test and rate the results.
The oils would nearly always pass the test by between 0.5 and 1%. The maximum deviation that was allowed in 'testers' was 0.5% !!!

So basically the companies blend the oil to just pass the tests. The most expensive parts of oil are the additive package.

There is one very important thing that should be known. Fully synthetic oils are so much better than normal mineral oils as the additives are chemically bonded to the base oil . So when oil is burnt off, with a synthetic oil its just a volume of oil that is lost, with a normal oil its the lightest parts of the oil (the additives) that burn off, leaving just the base oil .
Dont bother with semi synthetic as that is just a bit of synthetic mixed with normal oil . Not worth it at all.

Bottom line is get a synthetic oil that meets or exceeds the spec that the manufacturer requires. I always go for the cheapest synthetic oil that meets the spec that I can find. Change filter and oil an a max 10,000, make sure you cool the turbo before turning it off. i.e. let it idle for 30secs to 60 secs depending on how hard you have worked the turbo . That way the oil flows thru the turbo and cools it back down and doesn't boil in the turbo when you switch it off.

Sorry for long post.
Currently in ched999uk's garage:
Freelander TD4
The Following User Says Thank You to ched999uk For This Useful Post:
danjoe (24th August 2010)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome