Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Motrio Engine Oil - good or bad compared to Castrol

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 24th August 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Motrio Engine Oil - good or bad compared to Castrol

In my view we can discuss the quality of engine lubricating oils and the quality of such but many people tend to forget that engine oil has two important jobs to do.
Firstly it has to be able to lubricate all internal components as soon as possible when starting and provide sustained lubrication at all times and temperatures.
Secondly it has to provide adequate cooling and heat dispersal. Coupled with this is the efficiency of the coolant system so maintainance of this system is equally important.
Some oil may be better at this than others but at the end of the day the efficiecy of the engine lubrcation system has it role to play. There's no point in using a top of the range oil in a poor system or vice versa.
It also has to be remembered that an engine oil that looks perfectly clean doesn't mean that it hasn't been contaminated by the combustion process. And regardless of the quality of the oil if its contaminated it can't perform properly.
My policy is to change the oil every 8,000 miles or every 12 months whichever comes first and use a medium priced oil which meets the criteria for your engine but fit the best quality filter you can afford.
At the end of the day I feel that regular oil and filter changes are more important than using a higher quality of oil than is necessary. Also if you use economically priced oil you can then afford to change the oil more often.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome