Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear Offside Door Opens From The Inside But Not The Outside

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 24th August 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Rear Offside Door Opens From The Inside But Not The Outside

I had the same issue on my 51 Megane 12 months ago, the issue is the rod that attaches the external handle to the door latch.

The Rod is a threaded bar that looks like a giant self-tapping screw, and the handle has a metal clip on it that clips onto the rod from the side.

It's relatively easy to re-attach but takes a couple of goes to get the adjustment right so it doesn't pop off again. The trim panel is held on with a couple of screws under the door pocket, one in the trim grab handle, and one in the interior door handle. The rest is held on with pop-clips which release with a little tug of the trim.

A torch will be handy to see the clip and threaded bar inside, it 's a little trial and error to get it right, but ensure you re-attach the interior door handle to make opening the door easier if the clip pops off the rod while you test it (the interior handle can be re-attached to the release cable without the trim present).

Top Tip: to avoid replacing the whole weather seal behind the trim panel, cut the the seal where the gap is near the door latch and outer handle with a stanley knife. Try to cut it in straight lines as this will allow you to re-tape it edge to edge once you're done with the handle. I used transparent packing tape (as i had some laying around) to put the cut section back where it came from to re-seal it.

Hope this helps
Currently in DeeselTourer's garage:
2003 Laguna II DCI 120 Sport Tourer

Last edited by DeeselTourer; 24th August 2010 at 08:17 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome