Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale Newbie

View Single Post
post #64 of (permalink) Old 28th August 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale Newbie

I just wanted to add some information about 'real world' fuel consumption for the 3.5 and see if other members are getting similar results. My 3.5 Initiale has done 33K miles and has recently had a simple 12K service at my local Reggie dealer - not bad value at 184 all in, and I have changed the air filter myself. I brimmed the tank before going on a brief break to Cornwall, and after some town running locally took the fully loaded (and I mean FULLY loaded) car down the M5 and A30. It was a warm day so the air con was on, and as I was in a hurry I was going a little quicker than normal, at 90mph where conditions allowed it, which was most of the way due to clear roads. Then some running around, and sitting in traffic while there, before the return journey, even more fully loaded (!) The traffic was bad, so 70mph was the order of the day, when not sitting in tail backs. Brimmed the tank again this morning, and overall consumption was 26.4mpg, which I consider pretty acceptable. On the return trip I zeroed the trip meter, and the computer showed me as doing 30.3mpg, but I think that maybe it is a little optimistic? Given the all up weight (5 bodies, dog and luggage) I think I would have been hard pressed to do much better in any similar sized petrol car. I would be interested to hear from other owners whether this sort of mpg is the norm.
Secondly on a completely different tack, I have a satnav issue - the carminat box keeps ejecting my disc, and does not seem to even try to load. I was wondering if any kind owner would be willing to lend me an old disc that is known to work, so I can test my system? My disc has certainly seen better days, and may be the reason why the system is U/S, but I don't want to splash out on a new one until I am sure it is a disc fault. I would of course pay any postage costs incurred.
All the best, Steve
Currently in dpress's garage:
Renault Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome