Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

View Single Post
post #72 of (permalink) Old 31st August 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

Same problems with water inside.
2 faults found-
1. Rain coming in thru aerial fitting. Aerial stiff with corrosion at swivel point so used strong force in multistory car parks to bend the blighter down a bit. Result, lossened the fitting on the roof (slight dent) and the seal is broken. Water enters into the fitting above the rearview mirror and pours out when I brake hard, all over the gear knob and handbrake.
Solution- free up the aerial swivel fitting and reseat it all with mastic. No more roof leaks.

2. Water in passengers floor well. Removed the trim under the bonnet that runs across the car just below the wipers. You will see a tray in there that takes all the rain from just on front of the wipers and then flows out of a drain hole.
I found a rubber grommet used to seal a bit of the wiring loom as it passes thru the water tray had a split in it so that any rain will fall thru the grommet rather than thru the drain hole.
Heres the funny bit. This water, rather than just fall thru the engine bay was hitting an air con pipe that enters the front pass side. It then dribbles down that pipe into the car inside. We had at least 1 inch of water right back to the rear of the seat then it wicks into the carpet and into the rear area.

You cant replace the split grommet without major wiring work so I got a waterproof mastic from a motor caravan dealer and gummed it all up around the split.
Worked fine.

Hope this helps.
We used a hose to water around the wiper area and then looked inside the engine bay for wet and there it was, a very wet air con pipe!
Currently in Bonza's garage:
2002 Fidji Auto Scenic/2006 Dyn.VVT Auto Scenic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome