Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Details On Replacing RX4 Prop Bearings

View Single Post
post #82 of (permalink) Old 3rd September 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Re: Renault Scenic - Details On Replacing RX4 Prop Bearings

Hi all,
Been reading the extensive coverage of propshafts and donuts but am not sure if that is my problem. A few days ago, I was driving my RX4 in reverse gear when suddenly there was a crashing sound and it felt as if I was driving over a body (as if I knew!). After that, it was no longer possible to disengage the gears but, thanks to a very helpful driver, we were able to push the car to the side of the road, even whilst it was still in gear. Immediately after that it was no longer possible to run the engine without immediately stalling because the car continued to be in gear. Today, I had a mess about with the gear stick and was able to start the engine and keep it running as long as I kept the clutch in. As soon as I let ot out the car stalled. prior to this happening I had been having trouble engaging reverse gear for some time, having to have several goes at it before it engaged reverse rather than first. So, my question is - does this sound like a knackered gearbox or could it equally be a propshaft or whatever? Sorry about my clear ignorance in these matters compared to the erudite discussion previously but I have long gone stopped messing about with cars!
Currently in latvis's garage:
2000 Renault RX4
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome