Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Diesel Buying Advice...

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 4th September 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio Diesel Buying Advice...

I today went to view a 2003 RENAULT CLIO DYNAMIQUE DCI 80.

The seller (who is I suspect, from his E-Bay feedback, to be a part time car dealer) reckoned that the car has recently, (February), had a new turbo , a new clutch and a new alternator, but he had no receipts to prove it.

The alternator looked far from new, it looked quite old and used, but it was partly sprayed with a very bright silver paint !

I took the car for a short test drive; there was no sign of smoke and it seemed to boost quite well, but the clutch biting point seemed very high, which sugested to me that the clutch was not new,
or are all Clio clutches like that ?

I had a look in the boot.
I had to lift the spare out to find the wheel brace that was not located in the polystyrene holder.
What I found was a shallow puddle of rusty water !

The seller reckoned that he had changed the spare wheel and the wheel was wet when placed in the boot; I didnt believe him.

What is the most likely reason for water in the spare wheel well ?

He had said that the mileage was 90,000, it turned out to be around 93,500, and the small scratch that he had described was actually quite large.

Another thing; he had lost the tax disc !

the 'SERV' light did not switch off after starting.

Does this mean that it needs a renault service/switching off by a Renault garage, or does it mean that there is an actual fault with the engine or some other part of the car ?

I felt it was best not to buy that particular car.

Thanks for your help so far.
Currently in owen998's garage:
2004 Clio Dynamique DCi 100
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome