Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - IDE Renault Coupe brakes

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 28th July 2006
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The front discs and pads are straight foward.Just make sure you remove the top off of the master cylinder reservoir and clean the hub face(where the new disc fits).

The rears are a little more difficult,but since you've got the complete assembly(which I guess is already put together),then you just remove the caliper,then carefully remove the centre cap from the disc(you'll need to reuse this),then undo the 30mm hub nut.This will be effing tight(175Nm),so have something able to cope with this sort of stress ready......
It's just then a case of sliding the old off and replacing it.
The caliper piston will need to be turned and pushed at the same time(clockwise both sides).If you struggle with this,then I have the correct tool for hire if needs be.

It is possible to chaage just the rear disc seperately,but it is very easy to damage the bearing when swapping it from the old disc to the new(I've done it!),so you have done the right thing in buying a complete assembly,although it would still have been cheaper to buy them seperately from a motor factor.At least you haven't got the hassle of swapping bearings,though.

Good luck,and let us know how it goes.

Edit;Remember to pump the brake pedal before taking it out for a test drive!!

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome