Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #191 of (permalink) Old 29th July 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Further thoughts and considerations...

Okay, thus far Renault UK and Global have failed to determine the specific cause....personally I don't think that they ever will, but this makes it even more ironic that they can simply lie the blame with the last person who opened the bonnet....(and not accept any possibilities of an issue with the actual mechanism!).

Here are the points to consider (specifically with reference to my experiences - but would be good to get the other people who exp the same issues inputs too):
  • The Bonnet catches (main and safety) were not broken (according to Renault)
  • The Bonnet catch mechanism is a 'simple' two-catch system, ironically it appeared that both catches failed at the same time!
  • The bonnet catches (both!) are not lubricated during servicing by a Renault dealership (not mandated on their checklist!)
  • Looking at the main catch, the spring part of the mechanism could have jammed. The 'cable catch' part could also have jammed. Thus, any of the combinations of the above two points could mean the main catch may not have been FULLY engaged (chance it could release itself!)
  • Even if the main catch suddenly dis-engaged, why did the safety catch fail to function? Also, as there is only a small metal bracket that creates the 'catch', could this have 'changed' shape (straightened itself?) Could the saefty catch have been pulled out of the safe position (as indicated on BBC Watchdog), and remained so when the bonnet was closed?

Have tried to capture some of these points in the attached illustration. Anyone's comments and technical (and common sense!) views are defo welcome...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catch Image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1191  

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage: