Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #413 of (permalink) Old 24th September 2010
burning megane
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Re: Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

hi, just an update or probable conclusion depending on your take on things i suppose. ruk have inspected the car and found that the window regulator has been replaced at some time within the cars life with a non genuine part and in their opinion this is the start of the short that has spread back along the wiring loom and caused the dashboard to burst into flames!! i have had the car back from them and have had a look myself and yes there is definate signs that the window motor has shorted around the plug and the pcb board but all wiring looms are intact and the door mirror switch wiring is soaking wet, im no expert on this but surely this would be where the fire would have started rather than in the dashboard where the isurance independant assesor says that it had and where there is all the evidence that this is where the most heat was due to the charring and the doorcard seems to have melted with no actual evidence of charring. insurance company have written the car off today as well and have now authorised a courtesy car for the next fourteen days, ruk by the way wouldnt entertain the idea of some transport until after their inspection and now that their conclusion is that it was the non genuine part that has caused the fire their position is that it is not their responsibility/liability and is the end of the matter for them. one thing i would say is that anyone with a window fault on a megane hatchback, dont buy a non genuine part as according to ruk your car will burst into flames even if you have taken the keys or card out, personally i think its a get out of jail response or bury your head in the sand and hope it doesnt actually kill someone, but who am i? at a loss as to what else to do about it now though, thanks goes out to fireball scenic for advice and support
Currently in burning megane's garage:
rover 75 cdt
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome