Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - is this fair? handbrake recall on Scenic

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 29th September 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: is this fair? handbrake recall on Scenic

Originally Posted by scatz
Have you been in touch with Renault Customer Services
Customer services seem to be under the impression that if they choose to change a part in my (working) car and that part fails catistrophically soon after then they can say it's nothing to do with them! This seems outrageous to me. We'd never had a problem with the handbrake and it was actually one of the features of the car I quite liked. Nor did we have error messages appear about the handbrake. It was simply that it sometimes didn't release on steep hills.

This problem appeared immediately after their "fix" and I feel fully justified in holding them responsible. If their safety recalls result in damaged cars and customers footing the bill then who on earth will ever bring a car in for a recall?

Originally Posted by w1zz
You can imagine that doing this would have damaged the clutch.
I guess you were fortunate in that:
  • you knew of the handbrake release lever in the boot - I'm guessing that most owners don't
  • that other drivers could pass - my wife's car was completely blocking the traffic in a busy London area.
  • that you knew that trying to move the car with the auto handbrake engaged might damage the clutch - manual handbrakes are alot more forgiving.
I'd be interested to see what you'd of done if you were female, didn't know about the release lever and had approx 50 cars blaring their horns continuously at you with nearer drivers expressing their opinions very vocally?
Currently in mikerobinson's garage:
Scenic, Beetle Cabrio 1972, Vespa, XJR 1300, Paramotor
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome