Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How much would you pay?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 1st October 2010 Thread Starter
dai lard
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: How much would you pay?

Originally Posted by Lagdti View Post
I'd be very wary about having anything to do with it.

If he struggled with the manual box then this would send alarm bells ringing as the gearboxes are not the most robust units in the world,and if the clutch is getting worn it will be reasonably expensive to replace.The loosing power/smoke could be one of a number of things,before buying it I'd be tempted to have the codes read and seeing what it throws up.I'd also check to see if the cambelt has been replaced,it's obviously not due mileage-wise but time-wise it's very much over due and this is often overlooked by both owners and some garages.

I am always very dubious of low mileage cars that have been driven by the elderly/disabled (absolutely no offence meant to anyone),I think I've had more problems with low mileage ex-motability cars than anything else.Just because the mileage is low doesn't automatically mean that the car will be problem free.

Just my opinion though.
Very true about the mileage, the Rover we own has 164,000 miles on it and it drives like new, never asks for anything apart from fuel and tyres and that isn't very often
Currently in dai lard's garage:
2000 PT Cruiser and a 2002 Rover 75 Connie Tourer SE
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome