Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 1.5 dCi 86 Dynamique buying

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th October 2010 Thread Starter
Dewi Sant
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
1.5 dCi 86 Dynamique buying

Hi folks, new fella here so go gentle ok. I've searched the FAQs but cant find any buying advice for a newer model Clio.

I'm after a reliable, cheap to run little runabout to see me through the next 2 years or so, then pass onto my wife when she retires (I can then part ex her Colt and buy something interesting for me ).

I have actually been looking for a Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S but stumbled upon the Clio whilst looking and don't know what to do now because it ticks most of my boxes - not least of all it's low running costs! The Fiesta appealed because even if it does break they're realtively easy to fix and don't cost a fortune to buy parts for - although I must admit to never having been a Ford lover!

I've got up to 8k to spend so it'll have to be a Mk3, although there are one or two of the new models MK4? ) starting to appear for not much more so may run to one of those. I'm fancying the 1.5 dCi 86 Dynamique of which there are a few tidy looking low mileage examples available local(ish).

Question is - how good are the newer models? I know the Clio has always been quite a reliable wee car but not without it's niggles, so have the problems it's had in the past been addressed on the new ones? I'd like to make a check list of things to look at when I go buy so if anyone has any ideas, advice, suggestions etc. to add to it I'd be eternally grateful.

I've done a fair bit of research on new cars recently and almost every one in this class has some major issues. I started out looking at Mazda 3s but was put off by a widespread Traction contol problem that affects most of the ones fitted with it (which is most of them) - usually just out of warranty and costs the poor old punter anywhere between 1500 and 2k to have sorted. It's the same for most other makesm Vauxhall diesel models - waterpump probs, they self destruct at around 40k and take the cam belt with it! Peugeot - haven't got time to list their probs! Even VWs have inherant problems.

So far I've not turned up anything particuarly nasty about the Clio Diesels, apart from turbo probs at higher mileages - over 60k? .....and one of the headlight bulbs being a pig to change on the air con models?

Anyway - rabbiting now As I say any info would be appreciated, I've just retired (early!) so I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for mauling about with cars as I did when I was younger, I send them to a local garage now - just don't want any major repairs making a dent in the pension!

Currently in Dewi Sant's garage:
Harley Davidson, Honda SP1, Fiat Bravo, Mitsubishi colt
  5 Lastest Threads by Dewi Sant
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
1.5 dCi 86 Dynamique buying Cars & motoring Dewi Sant 2 852 5th October 2010 10:28 AM
Mornin'......... Welcome to RenaultForums dave_mezza2006 2 530 5th October 2010 09:36 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome