Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Scenic II - Petrol Flap locking solenoid - how do I get to it?

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 5th October 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Scenic II - Petrol Flap locking solenoid - how do I get to it?

Originally Posted by scatz View Post
Don't know if the Scenic would be similar but I found the solenoid easier to get to on my Lag if I removed the rear light cluster.
For reference...

The unit can be reached by removing the rear lamp cluster (via trim) and the foam pad which covers an access hole. The unit is secured by just the nut and the screw thread which protrudes into the fuel cap box. Don't do it up too tight or you can snap the plastic screwed lug off!

Luckily mine was done under RAC warranty at my mate's garage. New units cost around 50 trade!!! Taking the old part apart revealed what fails. There are only 3 parts inside. A small DC motor, one gear and a rod (the one that protrudes into the fuel cap box to lock the lid).
The rod breaks somewhere along it's length causing all sorts of whirring and crunching noises. It you are good with repairing small parts it would be possible to repair the plastic rod. Drill out both halves with a small 2-2.5mm drill and find a small portion (around 1" long) of hexagon Allen key that fits in tightly. A small drop of araldite on the Allen key portion will help and make sure that the break lines up exactly where it was broken (often easy to see as it breaks at an angle).

I've done hundreds of similar repairs on volume control knobs on vintage radio equipment where the spares are obsolete and unavailable and not had one failure yet.

A lot cheaper than the 50 rip-off price they charge for a new unit.

Currently in Repairman44's garage:
Renault Scenic Expression 2003 Red
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Repairman44 For This Useful Post:
pc-uk007 (22nd July 2015), SaladDressing (17th April 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome