Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault automatic gearboxes - are they still as crap as ever??

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th October 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault automatic gearboxes - are they still as crap as ever??

I spent this morning looking at the new Laguna coupe which I must admit is a bonny looking car. I regaled the salesman with the woeful tale of the last Renault I ever owned (a 3.0 litre V6 Safrane Auto) which easily had the most unreliable gearbox of any car I've ever owned. I kept the car for 12 years, during which time it had 3 gearboxes in total. In fact I only scrapped the car because the gearbox went again and it was going to cost more to replace it than the car was worth. Repairing a Renault auotmatic box was effectively impossible, from what I remember. It was usually a case of putting up with the problems or replacing the box completely.

Renault's salesman was quite accepting of the dismal reputation that Renault used to have for its automatics - but said very firmly that those problems were now definitely a thing of the past. Mind you, he would say that, wouldn't he?

So what's the 'word on the street'? Have Renault automatics finally shrugged off their reliability problems or is this something I still need to be wary of?
  5 Lastest Threads by johne53
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault automatic gearboxes - are they still as... Cars & motoring faffer 3 2650 9th October 2010 02:23 PM
When did they stop making the Safrane?? Cars & motoring Horatio 2 952 6th January 2007 06:52 AM
Renault Safrane - automatic gearbox problems Transmissions Anugal 4 3439 12th July 2006 09:04 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome