Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

View Single Post
post #179 of (permalink) Old 12th October 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

Hi all. Haven't been on here for ages but had a bit of trouble with the old crate and decided to have a look at what advise I could get here.
I did an oil and filter change and shortly afterwards noticed car became very smokey. (Black Smoke mostly under strain and acceleration) Suspected injectors but soon realised they weren't the problem. Took it to friendly local garage to get it on his fault code tester. It didn't show anything and he told me that it was probably the turbo because there was a bit of oil around the stop solenoid/butterfly valve area. I then started looking through the various posts on here and decided it was worth getting a second opinion because it wasn't burning any oil as far as I could tell. After some more advice from another couple of local experts I decided inspecting and cleaning the EGR was worth a go.
I purchased a can of carb cleaner and removed the stop solenoid. Much gunk and carbon was evident in the intake manifold so I thought ahha! this must be the problem right enough. So after spraying 1/3 of a can of carb cleaner into the almost completely clogged port & manifold and scraping out as much of the gloop as I could get at, I removed the three bolts from the solenoid (and promptly dropped two of them into the sump guard) O.K. I thought they said on the forum that all I had to do was tap and spray, tap and spray. WRONG!
At first all appeared to be going fine but then the whole thing started getting really tight. I sprayed as much carb cleaner as it would take into the port but it didn't seem to make any difference. I then decided to try giving it a "little jiggle" pop off came the top part leaving the rest in the manifold and It didn't want to move. Being as the bolt holes were now out of line and I didn't have a spare solenoid I realised that I had to try and get the bottom part back into line to refit the top (Solenoid) part. I tried tapping it back into position and promptly snapped off two of the bolt holes. I eventually managed to get it back into position and refit the top. I then started the car and because there was so much carb cleaner in the manifold and EGR housing it rattled a bit at first but once I touched the throttle whosh The rev's went into orbit and a massive cloud of black smoke and carbon came out of the exhaust until the carb cleaner burned off. My heart rate eventually returned to normal and I took it for a run and even though the valve is obviously knackered there wasn't as much smoke and it was running quite a bit smoother.
I will now be purchasing a new EGR valve and attempting to remove & replace the original. Any advise about where best to get a new one and removal tips for the old unit would be appreciated. The moral of the story is if someone tells you it's a straightforward job tell them to do it themselves.
P.S. I was also told that it's possible to block off the EGR valve and that it has little or no effect on performance, it only reduces a certain proportion of the emissions and that they can't even test for them at the MOT.
Currently in Ianmacd's garage:
2002 Espace 2.2dci The Race (to the parts store)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome